PARK WEST COOPERATIVE NURSERY SCHOOL
Park West Cooperative Nursery School
ORIGINAL CONSTRUCTION DATE
Located in the heart of Chicago’s popular Lincoln Park neighborhood, and directly adjacent to the ‘El’ - Chicago’s Elevated Train Line - the redevelopment consists of the adaptive re-use of a detached 3-story Victorian single-family home (c.1896) to a nursery school designed to accommodate up to sixty children, school administrative offices, and interior play space. Included in the plan is the demolition of the home’s former garage structure and its replacement with the new construction of a modern 3-story addition. The addition provides a new elevator, stair, and entry allowing for an accessible route throughout the building. A children’s play area is located at the lower level with classrooms on the first and second levels, and administrative offices on the third level. Other features include a warming kitchen on the first floor and an outdoor play area. The exterior of the main house maintains the historic character of the original and it’s place in the neighborhood. A number of original fireplaces remain as historic artifacts within the classrooms and the lobby area, and original window and door casings remain at the first level. Incorporated into the design of the rear addition is a custom picture window at the second level that turns the 'El' into a feature by providing children with an up-close view of passing trains.
Vision Award, Urban Land Institute, Chicago